Genesee County Energy Consortium
Saving Our Future by Protecting the Present
The Genesee County Energy Consortium is comprised of eight public school districts in Genesee County, including the Genesee Intermediate School District, that have come together to create a people based program to:
- Decrease energy consumption
- Eliminate waste
- Reduce energy costs
Program Organization & Goals
To assist districts, an energy manager has been employed to provide information, tools, and strategies that will lead to energy savings. The energy manager visits school buildings at different hours of the day, night, and weekends to monitor how each building is operating and to look for ways to reduce energy usage. The areas focused on include:
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
- Computers/office equipment
The number one priority when a building is occupied is a comfortable learning and working environment. In addition to that, everyone is encouraged to be energy conscious and use energy efficiently. When the building is unoccupied the goal is to reduce energy usage where possible. With everyone’s help this program can be a success and provide a greener environment for everybody!
- The End-of-Day Checklist is a helpful tool that all staff members can use as a reminder at the close of each day to turn off items that consume energy before going home.
- Weather Data Depot compiles weather information from AccuWeather and provides free reports and charts for degree days, daily temperatures, and forecasts.
Genesee Intermediate School District has established Board Policy 8100-Energy Management Conservation and the Administrative Guideline 8720 - Energy Management Program to set forth policy direction and implementation guidelines for a district-wide energy management program.